Instructions for Caring for Your Retainer
Proper care of your retainer is key in maintaining good oral health. To ensure you do not compromise the positive outcome from your orthodontic therapy, take care to follow these tips:
Wear your retainer as directed by the orthodontist. This may begin with daytime as well as wearing it at night.
- Remove your retainer when eating. Don’t wrap it in a napkin or just place it on the table. Place it in its case. This habit will help prevent loss or accidentally discarding it.
- Clean your retainer every day with a toothbrush and toothpaste to remove plaque and odors. Once a week, soak your retainer in an orthodontic appliance cleaner using warm — not hot — water.
- If you don’t need to wear your retainer, place it in its case. Place it in the same spot every day so you don’t lose it. Keeping your retainer out in the open means pets can chew on it or get lost or damaged.
- Some people find it a bit difficult to enunciate properly. If this happens to you, take some time to practice speaking, reading, or singing to overcome this.
- Handle your retainer carefully. It is delicate, and can break if you aren’t careful. If yours gets lost or broken, call our office right away and make an appointment to fix or replace it.
- Do not attempt to fix or adjust your retainer yourself. Call us and come in for a visit. We will handle the adjustment. If you do it on your own, you could unwittingly be causing damage, not only to your retainer, but to your teeth.
- Whenever you come in for an appointment, bring your retainer with you.
- Don’t swim with your retainer in.
- Don’t place retainers in hot water, on the dashboard of your car, in your pocket, the washing machine, or dishwasher. Retainers do not like heat.
With proper care, your retainer will serve you well. If you have any questions or concerns about your retainer, call our office right away at (630) 515-2727.
Downers Grove Orthodontics
1330 Ogden Avenue Downers Grove, IL 60515
Fax: (630) 566-1500
Serving Downers Grove, Lisle, La Grange and Woodridge, IL.
To take advantage of our special offers
or fill out the online form to