Orthodontic treatment isn’t just for teenagers. According to the American Association of Orthodontists, one in every five orthodontic patients is older than 21. Many adults get braces because they finally want to correct the damage that has been done to their teeth over the years. They know how critical it is to maintain their oral health, and they want to look better and become more confident.
How Orthodontics can help
There are many reasons why adults are opting for braces today:
- Bad bite (malocclusion), which prevents the teeth from coming together properly
- Crowded teeth or gaps in teeth; a risk factor for tooth decay and gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure spurred on by crooked teeth
- Need for a healthier mouth and vibrant smile
As an adult, you may cringe at the thought of metal braces. Take heart! Thanks to customization and aesthetically-pleasing materials, there are several options from which to choose. These options include:
- Metal (Damon)
Adult orthodontics vs. child and teen orthodontics
In younger patients, jawbones are still in development. In adults, those bones have ceased growing, making it sometimes necessary for surgical therapy to realign the jaw.
Following are some of the more common adult issues that orthodontic therapy can address:
- Gum or bone loss: Also known as periodontal disease, this can affect adults more readily. They may fall victim to receding gums or bone loss because of factors like gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease.
- Worn or missing teeth: Wear and tear on the teeth can cause them to shift, which must be fixed with orthodontic care. If you have missing teeth, they can cause other teeth around that space to shift and get crooked. Gum disease can result.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment: Many adults may have had braces as a teen but never finished the treatment fully. Now, they wish to complete the treatment to get the results they want.
We know adults and children have different needs. That’s why we work with each individual patient to make sure they get the right customized treatment. Our office is sensitive to the needs of each patient and we do all we can to make you feel comfortable during your stay with us.
Benefits of orthodontic therapy
There are many benefits adults realize from their orthodontist. These include:
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth: Properly aligned teeth are easier to clean; thus, they’re easier to keep healthy.
- Increased confidence: Having straight teeth as a result of braces can boost your self-esteem, encourage a brilliant smile, and give you a brighter outlook on life. You can finally smile fully in photos now!
- No braces? Your teeth can get worse: Failure to get proper orthodontic treatment can bring on long-term health issues and increased dental problems. Delay can be costly, and not only monetarily.
Call our office at (630) 515-2727 to discover even more benefits of adult orthodontics, and to schedule an appointment. We work with your schedule to accommodate your busy lifestyle. Call for an appointment today and start your journey to better teeth and a healthier smile!
Downers Grove Orthodontics
1330 Ogden Avenue Downers Grove, IL 60515
Fax: (630) 566-1500
Serving Downers Grove, Lisle, La Grange and Woodridge, IL.
To take advantage of our special offers
or fill out the online form to